I exhaled my own cigarette smoke and inhaled a mouthful of secondhand. I looked over the rims of my amber-tinted aviators at the gorgeous face of the thin slice of tush sitting on the barstool next to me.
“Hey there, mama,” I said, shaking some of the ice in my Canadian whiskey.
She sipped her pink squirrel, leaving some of her deep red lipstick behind on her straw.
I leaned forward on my patched elbows, hoping she didn’t notice some of the fondue cheese on my new polyester suit. “You wanna dance?” I asked her.
She shook her head. “No.”
“C’mon,” I begged. “It’s the Bee Gees. Andy Gibb. You going to pass up Saturday night Fever?”
I snorted a laugh out through my moustache. “You think you’re tough, huh? Well, I got news for you, hot pants. Who’s buying you drinks?”
After finishing the last sip of her slushy drink, she waved her dainty, sequined purse. “I am.”
She handed a little card with a number on it to the bartender. “Get this fellow a whiskey.”
The bartender wrote down the number, gave back the card, and poured the drink. He slid it to me, only the appropriate amount sloshing over the side.
I gave the bird a smile. “You tellin’ me you got a sugar daddy?”
“Yeah. By the name of Visa.”
Though the hot mama left shortly after with her brand-new credit card, I supposed I shouldn’t complain. Free whiskey’s a free whiskey, after all.
I got this prompt off of mybookworld24, which is run by Alex. I promised something so discotheque that it would squeeze the polyester from your veins. While listening to Disco Duck on repeat, I researched the 70’s with vigor and discovered a few things:
- There was a drink called the Pink Squirrel (and I thought that was hilarious)
- Canadian whiskey was popular
- They smoked like chimneys
- Adults in the 70’s loved a good fondue
- CREDIT CARDS DIDN’T HAVE MAGNETIC STRIPS HOW THE HELL DID THAT EVEN WORK (for real, this was perplexing and anyone with an answer would make my day)
- When I tried to figure out how they did credit cards without magnetic strips, I discovered that women couldn’t have credit cards until 1974, and I immediately thought, “Oh, there’s my story. That’s how my main guy will get turned down.”
- You can listen to the Nixon tapes on Youtube, but not for too many hours at a time if you want to keep your sanity
- Jimmy Carter was once attacked by a rabbit
Anyway, cheers, and a merry Watergate Salad to you all.